Monday, August 10, 2009

Sending Out an SOS

If you could go back in time and give advice to your younger self what advice would you give?

As one of those people who confesses that they would never go back and change anything that has ever happened to them this is a great question. Going back in time and giving myself advice would take on a whole new meaning. I wouldn't say "don't take that first drink" or "don't go there that night" or "Say good bye tonight, this is the last time you'll see this person" I have to think in the context that I would still act in the way I did when I was younger.

Things I would tell myself:

You should appreciate everything that happens to you, good or bad.
People are going to wrong you. Its not your fault.
You're going to wrong other people. Learn to live gracefully with your mistakes, and sometimes your regret.
You may do things other people want you to even if you don't want to. Learn your motivations and your needs.
Forgive yourself
Forgive others
Family is inescapable. Learn to love them for waht they are, not what you want them to be
Soemtimes its going to feel like there is no way out, there is - and its not usually the way out you're looking for. Be grateful for it anyway.
Remember everyone's opinions can change, even yours.
Learn to be patient
Hapiness is something you work for sometimes
Love is something that won't feel like work, even when it is.


There's surely other things I would say to myself, but I can't think of them now. What would you say to yourself? What would you say to me?

1 comment:

Queenie said...

What a great thought-provoking post, Alecya. Forgiveness and patience... hmm yes, excellent life lessons.

To baby Alecya, I'd say "It's all going to be OK, you'll see." And so it would be.

To baby me, I'd say "Stop going out with musicians. NEWSFLASH: OTHER PEOPLE EXIST."

Ah, the benefit of hindsight.