Saturday, January 14, 2006

We Have Now Reached Maximum Geek Capacity























I went to an excellent arcade in my town tonight called 1984. Its unbelieveable. You go pay a $5 cover charge an all your games are free, as long as you stay. The hook [there's always a hook] is it is all games from the 1980's. I went, and for two hours, played Frogger, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Jr., Mrs. Pacman, Galaga, Asteroids, and every other amazing '80's game you can think of. I have completely geeked out.

I loved it. It was amazing. And I even got to 25 on the high score for one of the Atari race car games. If you ever beat a high score, they pay your way in the next time. There were as many adults as there were kids, and it was great. Really, really fun. My only regret is that I didn't get a crack at a pinball machine. There was a woman on there that really knew what she was doing. I can't wait to go back...It was amazing.

Right. I am off to find my pocket protector and my Slam book now. See you later, dudes.

12 comments:

Carlos F said...

1880's games ROCK!! i am still obsessed with asteroids... i even have a crap java version on my cell. i just can never seem to get to level 3. its sooo hard... like Alex the kid on master system... no that was crazy!

sunshine said...

Totally tubular!

Mark said...

oh god, I so badly want to visit. if I had a mansion, I'd have to have a Games Room.

Alecya G said...

Hi Alex! Good to see you. I agree. I love the old games. They make me smile. There was one I recognized later in the evening that I used to play with my little brother on Nintendo called Rampage, where you are Godzilla or King Kong and you knock down buildings. Its great.

And Mark, if you ever are the way of Chez Alecya, give me a shout and I'll take you there...

*geeks out*

Crucifer said...

*drooool*

I love 80's arcade games, Tron and Galaga especially.

Back in 2002, there was a 80's arcade/games exhibition at the Barbican in London and I went to that. It was absolutely amazing how far games have come in the last 20 years.

Back then you had pacman in a chippie and now you get to actively play in a persistant online world with several thousand other players in the comfort of your own house.

What will we have in 20 years time, I wonder...?

HistoryGeek said...

I feel the sudden need to watch War Games!

Mark said...

is it in NY? I have a friend whose visiting there tommorow, I will recommend. If not, I obv. haven't been paying ANY attention.

Anonymous said...

I Loooooooooooooved that game. I wish I could find one of those machines.

Alecya G said...

nope, I am unfortunately in the middle of nowhere midwest. I wish I could reccommend a good place.

adem said...

That place sounds absolutely fantastic!

I think I'm going to scour the net for some old fashioned thumb action [in a good way]

Laters

LB said...

wow. 80's arcade action.

From what I have heard, I presume these games represent the Big New Thing where you live?

heh heh heh

Alecya G said...

Big New Thing?

Er, not that I know of. I go because its cool to play the games I played growing up. Lots of adults there. Butif you mean "do the geeks go there because its cool" I suppose they might...hateful tease *pouts*

Adem - tell me about bad thumb action? Or will that make this an R rated post?